Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What's been getting me through

As part of this sorta-detox we've kicked out all refined sugars of our diets. We have still allowed ourselves non-isolate sweeteners like honey, agave nectar, and maple syrup- but none of the white stuff, other refined sugars, and God-forbid, artificial sugars. So with checking every label, and with cooking almost everything we've stuffed our faces with, we've been pretty successful. {To be a better label detective, read this for the hidden names for sugar and this for the hidden names of MSG.}

However, I am a sugar addict and it wasn't very long into the sorta-detox that I was searching for a healthish treat to get me through. Even the super organic hippie dark chocolate bars contained sugar, so those were out. So instead I started playing with the sweetener I knew I was allowed. I'll post a picture later, but here's the recipe. It's simple, it takes a minimum of three ingredients, and it fits within my nutritional guidelines.

Honey Chocolate
  • 2 tablespoons organic butter (or other fat) gentled melted
  • 2 teaspoons honey whisked in with a fork
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa powder stirred in
The result is somewhere between ganache and frosting. If you're having a bad day, you can stop right there and have a spoonful. However you can also refrigerate to harden and use as chocolate chips in cookies, or use as a base for making your own candy bar. My favorite was to make it with half organic butter, half coconut oil and then once it becomes chocolate, mix it with a generous amount of almonds and unsweetened flaked coconut, spread it out on parchment paper, sprinkle some more coconut on top and gently press it into the bar. Then you can roll up the parchment paper, place in a ziploc, and refrigerate. When you come home from a long day at work you can break off a piece and savor the dark chocolate crunch. This stuff was so dark and crunchy that just a little bit satisfied my sweet tooth. What would you put in your candy bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment