Tuesday, January 29, 2013

kale chips

I saw a post the other day about annoying things food blogger do. The author begged bloggers to stop posting about kale chips.... What's a kale chip? Well I found out and am now going to do exactly what the aforementioned author plead against. 


Kale Chips are apparently a good way to force some veggies down your throat. Kale boasts an impressive resume of nutrients. Besides being high in fiber, it is a powerhouse of iron, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, Antioxidants, such as carotenoids and flavonoids that help protect against various cancers, omega-3 fatty acids, which help, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders. If Kale was someone at the bar, you'd buy em' a drink. So I was pretty excited to put this veggie in my shopping cart. (this veggie is on the dirty dozen, so buy organic if you can find it and afford it.)


So I gave kale chips a try, and while they weren't all the rage I was reading on the blog-sphere, they were a pretty tasty way to replace a potato chip. I experimented with Old Bay seasoning and another round with garlic salt, which upped the taste-o-meter. I'd definitely recommend giving kale chips a shot if you're a salt craver like my mom. My down fall is sweets, hers is salt, so maybe to her, this recipe would be all that and a bag of chips. ... pun intended. 

Here's a video on how to prepare kale chips. 


http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/crunchy-salty-kale-chips/



or if you prefer, here's a text version of a slightly different recipe (with a bonus recipe on butternut squash):


http://www.doorsixteen.com/2011/01/16/butternut-squash-kale-chips/

I used curley green kale, but I'd like to give it another shot with Purple Russian Kale if I ever come across it! Sounds pretty!


No comments:

Post a Comment