Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sugar Addict

This weekend I went home. I got to see my parents and my dog got to be spoiled... and run around untethered in the snow... and bark at deer that were so not afraid of him. When my Dad offered to take me out, I pounced. He did not need to ask my restaurant preference, knowing that I have become an Italian food snob. It's true. Whenever somebody suggests getting Italian here in my new town, I openly scoff and make a grade-A jerk of myself. "There is no real Italian food in this town." So we happily braved roads that were too icy for sensible folks and traversed into the next county. We didn't even have to wait for a table on a Saturday night because the roads were so crass. I even overheard the waitstaff planing an early close. But, God bless em', they didn't kick us out. I had a sort of shrimp primivera and even requested the whole wheat pasta. pats self on back. My true success was eating only half a wonderful parmesan graced bread stick. Drool. All and all, I did pretty well. Because I was still under my caloric goals and because I had been doing so well on my clean eating, I ordered a chocolate mouse to share with the table. Apparently was the most interested in it, and ended up eating half of it even though there were five around the table. Even still, I didn't regret it. It was wonderful and delicious.

The issue arose the next day... my sugar cravings were back full force. The next morning the box of chocolates my mom lovingly gave me for Valentines day were calling to me. When we traveled down to visit the future-hubs' dad, he had krispy kreme filled doughnuts and, as always, those dark chocolate bite size bars. It took every ounce of my will-power to avoid falling off the wagon. Seriously, it was so weird. That stuff always tempts me, but I've realized that I'm a bit of an addict. I don't mean to compare myself to people that are addicted to drugs or alcohol, I don't want to minimize the severity of those people's plight, but I mean, that white sugar makes me crazy! I can hardly control myself! But when I went on this cleanse, it really helped. I swapped in natural sugars like honey and maple syrup to get me through, and wouldn't you know it, my cravings became manageable. I didn't feel out of control. I could look at a piece of candy and say, eh, that's not really worth it and be done with it. It didn't constantly call my name.

Well it turns out that I'm not 100% crazy.

source: wikipedia
"The Journal of Psychoactive Drugs stated in a study published in 2010 that sugar releases euphoric endorphins in some people's brains in a manner very similar to that of certain drugs which are commonly abused.

"Sugar addiction" follows the same pathways in the brain that a habit-forming drug does. Fortunately, sugar cravings can be stopped within a week of withdrawing from the white crystals.

The entire scope of drug addiction has been observed in people with sugar addiction. There are cravings, an escalation of tolerance levels, and dramatic withdrawal symptoms associated with sugar addiction that parallel that of both prescription and non-prescription "street" drugs. In addition, sugar addicts often become narcotic addicts, according to the above study." http://www.naturalnews.com/037337_sugar_addiction_habits_raw_honey.html#ixzz2K2oVDOBd

Anyone else out there a bit of an addict with certain kinds of food? Think I'm nutso and overreacting?




No comments:

Post a Comment